Thursday, August 16, 2012

Caliban

I mean, who better than a tall clumsy transwoman to play Caliban, right? I know what it's like to live inside a rock, although for me, that rock used to go everywhere I did. Caliban can come and go from his rock, and I am distancing myself from mine. But whenever Caliban tries to distance himself from his rock, all of Prospero's spells call at him maddeningly, demanding that he serve. I've never been a slave, and none of my ancestors were slaves, I think. But I do know a sort of "mental slavery" like a prophet once sang of. I know internalized oppression. Who better? Lots of people, probably. There are a thousand Calibans. In this show that we are doing, I will play two of them. And both of them will also be me. -Y.Q. "keep on clowning, kids" The Unofficial Mayor of Yancy Street

No comments:

Post a Comment